Visit Ewan’s LinkedIn here for more
March 2018 to present: Freelance reporter on education stories for The Daily Telegraph. Ewan also has an upcoming work experience placement with the Telegraph.
February 2018 to present: Online News Editor at Forge Press – Manage a team of news reporters and work with several other news and copy editors
– Manage the news output on the Forge Press social media channels and develop strategies for growth so we reach a wider audience, in harmony with my role to ensure Forge Press reports news in innovative, creative and engaging ways online
– Edit print pieces for the online format and publish them, as well as sourcing unique online content from contributors and finding and finding and reporting on key online stories myself
– Responsible for important editorial decisions regarding online and breaking news
January 2018 to present: Journalist at RightsInfo, an interactive and leading news website making human rights more accessible, creative and engaging.
June 2016 to present: Freelance reporter at the North Devon Gazette, an award-winning local newspaper. This sees Ewan get to the heart of his local community, and he has had numerous bylines in this newspaper.
October 2017 to present: Volunteer at The People’s Politics, a student-lead initiative which sees several politics students at The University of Sheffield go into local primary and secondary schools in the Sheffield area, running classroom sessions to engage, inspire and educate young people on politics. There is particular emphasis on strong interpersonal and communication skills here with the groups we teach being at very different levels.
September 2017 to present: Columnist at Forge Press, The University of Sheffield’s popular student newspaper.
August 2016 to present: Blogger at the Huffington Post, writing mainly about society and politics.
December 2017 to February 2018: Writer at The Tab, working in a small team of students at The University of Sheffield to produce popular, engaging and lively news and features to an audience of around 100,000 people a month.
Easter 2017: Work experience with CNN International in London, working alongside different elements of the operation including Newsdesk, Digital, Editing, Planning and the production team for Hala Gorani’s flagship show ‘The World Right Now’.
April 2016 to April 2017: Communications Officer for Petroc Student Union (PSU), a role in which Ewan was a leading part of a student executive committee representing thousands of students at a large sixth form college.
- Ewan was democratically elected by hundreds of students into this role and used this mandate to initiate powerful and far-reaching change within the college
- He did this through campaigning proactively for better social and study facilities, including organising many individual meetings with members of the senior management team of the college
- Ewan also worked with other members of the executive committee in developing new strategies to communicate with the students they represented, leading the way in publicising major events such as voter registration workshops for students.
- A key legacy of Ewan’s efforts was a PSU website established and developed by him to the point where it was reaching thousands of students
August 2016: Work experience at BBC Radio 4 World At One programme, shadowing presenter Shaun Ley and his production team as they create a 45 minute flagship current affairs programme from scratch, working alongside Shaun in writing scripts, and in the gallery with the Studio Director during the show. Shaun also gave Ewan a tour of the BBC’s news operation, where he met and chatted to News Channel presenters Jane Hill and Nicholas Owen.
August 2016: Work experience with CNN International PR team in London, exploring how they publicise CNN content and arrange for CNN journalists to appear in interviews, conferences etc.
Summer 2016: Work experience at Turner Broadcasting System, working across the operation from Technology & Operations, compliance, channel scheduling and presentation and dubbing guidelines with brands such as Cartoon Network (CN), Boomerang, Turner Classic Movies and TrueTV.
July 2016: Broadcast journalist role with popular and growing local radio station The Voice. Ewan produced a feature audio report about a local festival which was played on the hourly news bulletins across several days.
Feb, July 2016: Work experience at ITV Westcountry News, shadowing correspondents as they report in the field and then edit the rushes together into packages for broadcast.
October 2015 to March 2017: Head of News and Social Media at popular student radio station Fresh FM, which saw Ewan write and present news bulletins on a daily basis and make daily editorial and stylistic decisions on which local and national/international stories to include in bulletins. Ewan also ran all of Fresh FM’s social media coverage on Facebook and Twitter.
October 2015 to March 2017: Presenter at popular student radio station Fresh FM, initially presenting a Friday lunchtime show with engaging content including interviews, games and chart round-ups. He then moved to the Breakfast Show, listened to by thousands of students every day.
October 2015 to October 2016: Blogger at student website The Indiependent.
Feb 2014, July 2015, July 2016: Work experience at the North Devon Gazette, an award-winning local newspaper, an ongoing experience that saw Ewan investigating and writing reports for print and online, and developing a close relationship with the Editor to learn extensive about the editorial process. On his four placements with the Gazette, Ewan has learned about InDesign, sat in editorial meetings, experienced breaking news with a local earthquake, and has attended court sessions as a reporter.
March 2014: Intern at North Devon Moving Image, which involved Ewan planning, co-producing and co-directing a short film about a local radio station.